The Buyer works in a product design and manufacturing environment and is a member of the Business Operations Support Team, providing support to Engineering, Program Management, Quality Management and Production. As a Buyer, you will be responsible for a range of strategic and routine procurement activities to ensure supplier performance and development to ensure a qualified, reliable based of supplier and timely deliveries. You will also be responsible for crafting a procurement schedule that dovetails into the design and manufacturing schedule, providing a comprehensive project support schedule.
- Develop procurement plan to support programs/projects. Purchase materials, parts, supplies, and equipment following established purchasing policies and procedures and optimizes price, delivery, and terms with minimum supervision
- Develop and maintain project schedule, ensuring supplies/services are received in timely manner. Brief supervisor and management on procurement status, highlighting risk areas and risk mitigation approach
- Develop lessons learned from purchases and develop best practices to optimize performance
- Identify, analyze and qualify vendors.
- Work with vendors to obtain product or service information such as price, availability, and delivery schedule. Determine points when supplier base should be expanded.
- Development economic purchase strategy. Source production materials and components, with consideration given to price, quality and availability.
- Develop Supplier Agreements and similar arrangements in order to create stable supplier list and best pricing
- Process, approve and deliver purchase and production orders to meet targeted inventory goals.
- Review bid proposals and negotiate contracts within budgetary limitations and scope of authority.
- Maintain procurement records such as items or services, purchased costs, delivery, product quality or performance, and inventories.
- Help monitor parts obsolescence.
- Interact with stakeholders of purchased or manufactured components to address defective or unacceptable goods or services to determine source of the problem and take corrective action.
- Approve invoice exceptions (quantity or price differs from the P.O.) for payment.
- Expedite delivery of goods from vendors on an as needed basis.
- Run past due reports and exceptions reports to accommodate planning and production changes.
- Work with Materials Manager and Accounting to review and manage purchase price variance (PPV) and manufacturing variance.
- Partner with Engineering, Marketing and Program Management during the product definition phase to assess cost feasibility and cost targets
- Partner with cross functional team members to determine product needs and plans/schedules appropriately ensuring purchased parts/services support production schedule
- Collaborate with suppliers during development process to identify design and manufacturing cost drivers to support Design to Cost efforts
- Seek out and identify opportunities for value creation (cost savings, cost avoidance, revenue enhancement) and risk reduction
- Coordinate with planning to transition production requirements once product has successfully launched
- Support Design for Manufacturability and Assembly (DFMA) reviews for new products with Supply Chain
- Work in cross-functional team environment to achieve the best cost for the parts without compromising performance, quality or reliability
- Influence design decisions by participating in design concept reviews to assure cost is being considered as one of the key elements in concept evaluation
- Performs risk assessments to identify and mitigate program cost risks with Supply Chain
- Performs other related duties as required
- Relevant BS degree or equivalent work experience as a Buyer
- Three-years’ experience performing buyer duties similar to the above in manufacturing or related environment
- Experience with ERP systems - experience with SYSPRO highly desired
- Knowledge of manufacturing process, including product design and assembly of bills of materials (BOM) and dependencies.
- Must be able to work successfully in a cross-functional manner to support operations in a fast-paced work environment.
- Highly organized, detail-oriented, demonstrated ability to multi-task, with strong follow up skills. Strong ability to understand and adjust to priorities.
- Strong problem solving, communication, and interpersonal skills. Ability to identify problems, recommend solutions, and negotiate and execute contingency plans
- Demonstrated experience serving as a change agent.
- Demonstrated understanding of the impact of business decisions, and the change environment as it relates to documentation.
- Ability to create routine reports, presentation and correspondence
- Ability to coordinate and track activities by metrics
- Must have good communication skills, both written and oral, with advanced word processing skills
- Proficient in computer skills and programs generally used in an office environment.
- Able to work in manufacturing environment.
- Position requires frequent communication and walking to other locations within the organization
- Position will require sitting and extended periods of standing
U.S. Citizenship or Legal Permanent Residence required.